Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nesting...

I love the idea and look of a bird's nest.  I love how cozy they look and how I hope one day to have a few little chicks of my own... I came across this AMAZING find and KNEW I had to make one for my little nest.  I love googiemomma and am pretty sure we should be besties... She has amazing taste and I am sure this won't be the last time I link to one of her ideas.


I have a million little twigs and things in my back yard. In fact during the last storm the hail and wind knocked a couple of branches down. You would think I could make a nest in no time flat, but if you remember ROGER you are well aware of my "nest skills".  So I searched everywhere for a nest and came up empty. I tried to twig up and create one of my own, but it was not happening. I had almost given up hope for this project when low and behold I was walking through Family Dollar and found this creation!




ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS, but has such potential...and yes if you can see that tag it does say $2.50. SCORE!  So I stripped all the leaves, and mini pine cones, fake plastic eggs, plastic flowers and a couple of squishy birds.  I added moss with a glue gun and came up with this comfy cozy nest. Just waiting for some little blue eggs.


Now onto the eggs. I gathered my materials: 3 wooden eggs, 3 leftover Halloween pencils, hot glue gun, and craft paint. I am not sure of the colors I just grabbed ones I had in my paint box.




I am afraid to use an exacto knife, really tall people and being hit by a train, so I went to Hobby if I didn't have a church I'd worship there Lobby and found some cute little wooden eggs.  I had the hardest time figuring out how to paint the eggs and then it came to me...I took an egg and hot glued it to the top of a Halloween pencil I had left over.  TA DA


 I then took them outside and put a coat of white spray paint on them as a base and placed them in a cup filled with sunflower seeds I was going to throw out.



I let those dry and then painted them a nice blue. I wanted lighter when I started, but as they dried and I placed them in the nest I really liked the darker blue.




After I flicked some brown and white paint on the eggs they were finished.  So I moved on to the frame. I was thinking of using an old frame and painting it gold, but I really liked this creamy white frame and felt it went better with my home than a gold one.




I decided to use burlap inside the frame because I couldn't find the perfect decorative paper or printed fabric, and I love love love burlap.  After I glued the nest to the mirror It looked a little bare and like the frame was too big for the nest.  I was super frustrated but then had a stroke of genius and decided to raid my ribbon box.  I found a cream that matched the frame almost perfectly and it gave  an added texture and dimension that I feel completed the piece.  I hope you like my finished product.  I only took a picture of it by itself because the table I want to put it on has not been refinished yet...this weekend I hope to start it.  I am in love with this I mean I LOVE IT!  I hope you enjoy.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment