Thursday, September 2, 2010

I was FRAMED!

I found these little plastic oval gold frames at Goodwill for  $0.99 each and knew that I could do something to liven them up.






I wanted to try a technique I found on The Diary of Daves Wife.  I am pretty much in love with her  (read how she became Daves Wife and I promise you will love her also) and everything she has created especially the silhouette. I don't have glaze, but I have Distress ink and wanted to try it out.  I started by cleaning the frames and taking them outside to my trusty spray paint board.


I used some Wal-Mart brand that cost under a dollar and gave them each two coats.



After they dried I rubbed on the Distress Ink, tea stain I believe.  I was not happy with the outcome.  They didn't have the depth I wanted and the color was way to orangy-brown for my taste.


So I went to the garage and pulled out my Minwax stain and rubbed it in. I let it dry for about five minutes and with a clean rag wiped it of.  This is what I was looking for!


I couldn't find a silhouette I liked and I wanted to try out some of my new stamps. I went to my paper supply and found a cute green and brown damask pattern.


I'm a little embarassed to say, but I had to make about 5 different ovals before I finally got it right (or close enough).  I popped them in the frame and am quite pleased with my $2.00 wall art.


I'm not gonna lie, I don't absolutely LOVE them, but I like them. I think when I find the perfect place to put them my love will grow. I am pretty pleased with how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment