Monday, July 19, 2010

Typing into my heart

I love Pottery Barn.  I mean LOVE IT!  As you know I have begun a life of thrifty shopping and saving money.  Pottery Barn does not condone my lifestyle.  So as I was stalking looking at some awesome blogs I came across this beauty from Holy Craft.  I knew in that instant I had to make it.  So I began the simple steps.  I had the font on my computer already so I typed it up and printed it off on card stock.  I the size I chose was 300, I know it sounds huge, but I found it to be perfect for the size of the squares.



I then used the most amazing thing known to the craft world...the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter. Yes it is a piece of crap and yes I have had to replace it twice, but believe me it has made cutting out these circles a snap.  They are round (a feat that wouldn't be accomplished if I free styled it) It goes all the way up to 5 1/2" circles.  Pretty amazing for my circular needs. I got at Wal-Mart on clearance for $11.00.  I am thinking that the overall quality has knocked it down to $7.00 in less than a week.  Still a good buy until I can find a better model.





Roughly 20 minutes later I was left with these treasures.  I took a black sharpie and colored in any white lines that were not supposed to be there and colored the sides so they are all black...I know, I know I obsess. I managed to cut out all but 10 to my standards.  That just means I have to print and cut again.  Pretty dang easy.





Now to my board.  My father is a woodcrafter/whatever and he has tons of wood in either workshop.  We managed to find a 24X25 piece of plywood that was PERFECT. It needed to be trimmed one inch.  You know the old motto measure twice, cut once...it wasn't used with that piece.  Because he is amazing he picked up a piece and cut it to the perfect 24X24 square.  He also scored the entire board so I am left with perfect 4x4 squares.  Please see the picture below... I know I have mind blowing math skills and I may have lost you.


I have never stained anything in my life...well OK, mustard gets me every time, but I am new to the wood stain.  Let me tell you it's not something you want to rush into. I found out a bit late that it is best added with a gentle hand.  There are parts that don't have that brushed on blended look.  Thank the Heavens for second coats. After I let the stain dry I took a little Modge-Podge and went to town!  I ended up framing it out with an old piece of wood I had laying around.  I think it gives it a more finished look. I pretty much LOVE THIS!


When I finish my buffet I will show you what this bad boy looks like in it's natural habitat, but for now this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment