Monday, July 12, 2010

BLT Pizza

The garden is in full swing and pumping out tomatoes by the bowl full.  I thought it was a perfect night to make the house favorite BLT PIZZA.  It is AMAZING, and simple and did I mention amazing...



For the pizza...you can start a few ways.  You can either  A.) make your own pizza crust, B.) buy pizza dough and bake it yourself, or C.) buy prepared and precooked thin crust.  I usually make my own dough, but it was after all the Sabbath a day of rest, so I opted for C.  It was super simple and Walmart had them on sale for $2.00.  This pizza doesn't have a sauce, so I melted some butter and put a little garlic in it.  I then brushed the crust generously and sprinkled it with dried parsley flakes.  I covered it in about a cup of shredded mozzarella and popped it in the oven on 425.  I started it out by having it on baking stone and when the cheese was almost melted I put the crust directly on the oven shelves.  That allowed the crust to crisp up a bit. When the cheese was melted and almost brown, I pulled it out and let it cool for a couple of minutes.  I topped it with bacon that I had cooked to an extra crispy texture.



After the bacon I topped it with sliced tomatoes fresh from the garden.



I then topped it with a mixture of chopped iceberg lettuce and the tangy zip of miracle whip.  I put the lettuce in a bowl topped it with MW and then used the tongs I cooked the bacon with to toss.  Once the lettuce is nicely covered in MW, top it on top the pizza and serve.




The first time I served this everyone was a bit skeptic, but one taste and everyone was hooked!  I think it works so well because you get the temperature contrast of the cold lettuce and hot pizza.  It just has the best taste! I adapted the recipe from the California Pizza Kitchen BLT Pizza.  You see there is not a CPK in the great state of OK and I had to get my fix. A girls gotta eat right?

We also had a Margherita pizza with tomatoes and basil from our garden.  I used the same crust and the same cooking technique only I topped it with a light pizza sauce, fresh basil, mozzarella, and sliced tomatoes.  It was so good!  I was also able to eat this one because the tomatoes were cooked.



Dinner was a hit and it was pretty cheap and super fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment